Late January saw the successful launch of Katzenjammer’s latest album ‘Rockland’ in the GAS and BeNeLux territories with the UK and US set to follow suit on 2nd of March.
The album has already racked up an impressive array of strong reviews, particularly in the German press, and the band has followed up with some carefully selected and well-played showcases. The band’s recent stint at London’s The Lexington also earned them some well deserved praise; wrote The Guardian’s Robin Denselow in his 4/5 live review of the collective’s late Jan gig at The Lexington: ‘The versatile Norwegian quartet are moving from their wilder earlier work to a more commercial fusion of country and blues, but their new pop direction suits them.
For this week’s Industry Insider feature, we’ve checked in with Gyro Leira of Katzenjammer’s management Stageway to get an update on the band’s winter and spring plans.
‘Rockland’ – GAS & BeNeLux launch
Could you give us a brief sit.rep on Katzenjammer’s international campaign this winter? We’ve witnessed ‘Rockland’ climbing German sales charts steadily over the last two weeks – any other positive trends on the international front for Katzejammer?
– The album has racked up some really good reviews in Germany, says Leira. – The band also did a showcase at The Lexington in London in late January that went really well. The album also entered the Dutch charts at No#24 recently.
What are the main events on the Katzenjammer itinerary in the months to come? Touring plans?
– The band is heading out on a brief GAS-tour in March followed by live appearances in Holland, France and the UK in May. Come summer, the band is set to play a string of festival gigs across Europe.
Full Katzenjammer tour itinerary in our Calendar Section.
Are there any territories that stand out as particularly Katzenjammer-friendly? If so, why is the band so successful there?
– For years, Germany has remained Katzenjammer’s strongest market – I believe they’ve succeded by shoving devotion to their fans by being present on the live circuit over time.
UK, Holland and France next
Do you have your sights set on any new markets outside of the GAS territories?
– We’re seeing interest mounting from the UK, Holland and France – we’ll be definitely be devoting more time in those territories in the time to come.
Any personal, Norwegian favourite acts you’ll like to highlight?
– Susanne Sundfør, Emilie Nicolas and Røyksopp are all acts that I don’t work with on a professional level, but still spend much time listening to.
Any gigs coming up with Norwegian acts that you’re looking forward to?
¬- I’ve yet to see the full by:Larm programme yet, but I’m hell-bent on seeing Aurora. Also, really looking forward to Kåre & the Cavemen’s gig in Drammen in March
‘Rockland’ is out in GAS and BeNeLux now through Propeller Recordings. The album is slated for US/UK release on the 2nd of March.