– Norway is a hallmark of quality
Manager Vegard Waske from Mandelbaum Management, which represents Cashmere Cat, Bearson, Charlie Cunningham, Digitalism and TRXD, says there are several reasons why Norwegian online producers get international attention.
– The new producers that are emerging do not only make good music. They also have abilities that are perhaps the most important in a world flooded with talent: 1: They have an early instinct for which artists and producers are going to be the next big ones and 2: Have the (online) social skills that make them capable to get into the songs of great artists – in competition with thousands of other producers, Waske says.
– They have first and foremost been very good at building their own networks directly with other producers, artists, managements etc. – in addition to making good beats and hooks – with a dose of Norwegian character.
He believes that producers such as Cashmere Cat and Kygo have contributed to more people opening their eyes to Norway and Norwegian producers.
– Norway is a hallmark of quality. But not only because of the music, but also because people from Norway are considered neat and reliable, Waske says.
Advantageous to have a management on the team
Waske sees that some online producers can do well on their own, but emphasizes that it is an advantage to have someone on the team who has experience with what level production advances / royalties and publishing splits should be at, US contracts / work visas / business standards etc.
– In addition, the competition in the US is fierce, you can quickly become yesterday’s news – then you often need someone on the team who can contribute to the progress of using their network to keep the producer well in the game, Waske says.
He doesn’t hide the fact that the American hip hop industry can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes; often you make the deals and the publishing splits after the song has been released and that can drag on for years.
Waske believes that the reason why Norwegian online producers have received the attention of artists in the US, is a combination of elements.
– I think the key lies first and foremost in these producers’ abilities to maneuver into the right projects. Combined with great beats, good melodies and a dose of Jotunheimen, Waske concludes.